BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 1, 2010

The Power of Only One: Day 1--The Launch

Who am I to DARE to make a difference? I am only one of 6,793,724,593 people on this blue marble. Over 5 billion of these people live on less than $10 a day and live in countries where the gap between the rich and the poor continue to widen. Over 3 billion people live on less than $2.50 a day.  40% of the poor account for 5% of the world’s wealth, whereas 20% of the wealthiest account for about 75% of the world’s income.



Who am I to DARE to make a difference in a world where 25, 000 children die daily due to living in poverty? 28% of the world’s children are underweight and stunted due to malnourishment, most of these coming from Africa and South Asia.  Many of the world’s children not only suffer from the malnourishment of poverty, but also live in a world without education. As of 2005, 57 billion primary school-aged children in developing countries were not enrolled in school, 57% these being young girls.


Who am I to DARE to make a difference in the world where the children suffer on daily basis because of extreme poverty? According to globalissues.org: “1 billion children live in poverty (1 in 2 children in the world). 640 million live without adequate shelter, 400 million have no access to safe water, and 270 million have no access to health services. 10.6 million died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5 (or roughly 29,000 children per day).”


Who am I to DARE to make a difference in a world with so much suffering and the odds off success seem insurmountable with global efforts, let alone the efforts of just one person? I will tell you who I am to DARE to make a difference. I am not a company or a non-profit organization. I am just one. One person. One mom. One teacher. One American. One Texan. One daughter. One sister. One friend. One member of the human race who has challenged herself to save the one...one day, one word, one post at time with the POWER OF ONLY ONE.


What was the impetus that compelled me to tap into the Power of Only One? It started with this post at Monica’s blog A Pair of Panties and Boxers. Also, as I did research, I was reminded of and read inspirational stories of THE ONE making a difference. I bet you have all heard the story of the woman on the beach trying to save the starfish one at a time. Someone also walking on the beach challenged her, saying she couldn’t possibly make a difference. The woman responded “But I made a difference for that one” as she threw it back into the sea.


One of my favorite movies, one that I share with my students, is the Power of One, loosely based upon the novel by Bryce Courtenay. In this story, Peekay seeks to make changes of Apartheid–era South Africa. Again, when the character is faced with the challenge that one person cannot make big change, he discovers that “A waterfall starts but with one drop, and look what becomes of that.” Finally, I found wisdom and truth in Mother Teresa’s words, “If I look at the mass, I will never act. If I look at the one, I will.”


There is hope and strength in facing the challenge of THE POWER OF ONLY ONE. I may be only one person who changes only one life on this planet, but it will make a difference. It is my goal to reach each one of you, encouraging you to join me on this journey. Imagine what could happen if each of us empowered just one person to a better life. Oh, what a mighty waterfall of change we could create.


I hope to see you here on a regular basis. Feel free to contact me at powerofonlyone (at) gmail (dot) com if you have any questions, suggestions, or ideas. Here’s to the Power of Only One on January ONE of the brand new year.

--The Power of Only One

Sources:
http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats
http://www.globalissues.org/issue/2/causes-of-poverty

1 comments:

wgasawoman said...

How very inspiring you are. I am so moved by your courage to start this blog and post such thoughtful research. I am moved to find my power in my only one voice and you have helped to light that spark.
Sharon