BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 26, 2010

Dinner for A Dollar

Half of the world lives on less than $2 a day.  I spend more than $2 on a frivilous "skinny" latte whenever the whim hits.  Half the world lives on $730 a year.  I spend more on my rent in a single month. 

On Monday, I generated a list of things people can do to help fight world hunger.  One of the items on the list I found quite helpful.  I read that sending Tweets about world hunger to educate followers in an effective and easy tool to get the out word about world hunger.  I Tweet, as in nearly 6500 of them in the past year.  So Tweet I shall to help spread the message.


However, one suggestion on the list has haunted me all week.  One website suggested people make a dinner for $1 and invite friends over.  Explain to them that many people must meet the challenge of inexpensive meals to feed the family every day.  I started to think, "What would I or COULD I make for a group of 4-6 for just a $1.  I don't know why, but this challenge has been picking away at my brain all week.  I think I am actually going to try this meet this challenge:  Make a meal for $1 and invite friends over to share the meal and to share the lesson. 


Here is the meal I planned


Pot of ramen noodles (3packages @ .15 cents each) = .45 cents
Cornbread muffins (1 packages Jiffy that makes 6 muffins) =.33 cents
1/2 milk & 1 egg for cornbread = .20 cents

WOW!  Can you imagine?!  Each person gets ONE cornbread muffin and a small bowl of meatless ramen noodles.  I can't describe just how in shock I am right now after trying to plan the menu.  This would only be a challenge to enlighten me and a small group of friends.  This is the reality for millions of mothers and fathers every day, every meal.  What are your thoughts? How do you feel?

I feel selfish. wasteful. fat. greedy. 




0 comments: