BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Passions Revealed

Jack and Aye at Got Passport:  Will Travel, We'll Serve, are encouraging their followers to create a Passion Board to "DISCOVER and UNLEASH your PASSION through ART and CREATIVITY."  For some reason this challenge resonated with me and within minutes I started the project and within a couple of hours I completed the project. 

What does this have to do with the Power of Only One? 
I rummaged through the piles of magazines and family pictures, cutting out words and images.  As I arranged these onto the canvas, I saw of  pieces of my heart and soul and my story-path began to unfold.  It revealed where I had been and those who have helped me to get there.  I can see where I am now, yet, it is clear where my spirit longs to be.  I experienced a "Moment of Conversion."  

I have always loved studying Africa and it's people,  diverse cultures and rich history.  I have been asked often, "Why do you love Africa so much?"  The only way I can explain it is that whenever I talk about Africa or study it, I hear the voice of God.  I was not born in Africa, nor is any of my family from Africa.  I am not even African-American.  I should have no connection to this continent, but I am called to it.  Called to come and to help bring change, called to make a difference there.

For nearly a decade, I have been talking about how I could help the people of this continent.  I have brainstormed and designed programs in my heard to make a difference.  I have talked to my family and friends about what I could do as just one person.  But it was always talk, until January 1 of this year.  This year I fell into my "Moment of Conversion."  This year I started the Power of Only One, armed with the hope and desire to bring change to the world, change for Africa, one post at a time.

Literally, the heart of my Passion Board is Africa.  It is surrounded by my past, my present, and the future for which I hope.  One day, Africa will be both my destination and my destiny.  I will be ready because of the love of my family, past travel experiences and the lessons learned along the way, as well as the the hopes I carry in my heart for the future.

How strange that a blog challenge, an simple little art experiment, helped me to see to see my own life's story and the passions I hold dear to my heart. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Lisa,

Wow you can learn so much about a person through their passion board. So glad you decided to participate. Africa awaits your lovely and inspiring soul. You inspire me with not only your passion board but this blog! Thank you!

hugs from Chiang Mai, Thailand!