BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 8, 2010

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is: Helping Haiti

After researching Haiti, THE POOREST country in the Western Hemisphere (and now the hardest hit), I realize that I am being called to do more than just publish blogs to help my fellow man.  Education is crucial to ending the poverty, but it takes money, especially in Haiti, to bring about real change.  Haiti needs our contributions.  Haiti needs MY contributions.  It will take money to rebuild the basic infrastructure, to provide basic necessities to those who lost everything, and to put food in the bellies of the hungry.  It is time for me to pay up.

Many of you may know me as LadyWanderlust on Twitter or as Her Majesty the Blogoddess at the WorldAccording2Lisa.  My alter ego, the Blogoddess, is a snarky, flippant, and sarcastic woman who acts as if love were nothing more than a song lyric, men are a nuisance, and life is one big joke.  However, behind that facade is a woman who really dreams of making a difference, as a mother, as a teacher, as a blogger, and as a resident of this blue marble.   So with this blog, I intend to raise money for Haiti, while raising awareness.

Here's the Plan:

  1. For each person who becomes a follower of this website, including the already existing 10, I will donate $1 to a charity dedicated to improving the lives of those touched by the earthquake in Haiti.
  2. For each person who leaves a comment this week on any post, I will donate $1 to the same charity.
  3. For each TWEET/RETWEET about this post or this website, I will donate $1 to the relief efforts in Haiti.  (Just be sure that any TWEET/RETWEET is directed @LadyWanderlust with http://www.thepowerofonlyone.blogspot.com/ in it to ensure I receive all Tweets).

That's it.  That's "The Plan."  Help me to build up this blog so I can reach my New Year's resolution to help "the ordinary one person become an extraordinary impetus of change by addressing key global issues and empowering individuals with the knowledge of the issues & the means to make change."  The more people who follow this blog and tweet/retweet about "The Plan", the more money I will donate to Haiti and the more the message will get out.

Thank you, Lisa

3 comments:

Matty said...

This is quite the step forward in your efforts to help. I applaud you.

Unknown said...

Agreed. I too applaud your effort to put your money where your heart is. Today, I signed up to make a monthly commitment to Finca which supports women in places like Haiti have seed money to start businesses.

Brian Miller said...

this really is a cool thing you are doing.